Steve Lightle...

 



I'm extremely saddened to learn that Steve Lightle passed away today due to Covid complications. I never met Steve outside many pleasant facebook conversations and a handful of private messages, but in truth, I might never have become a comic book writer without him.


Early on in his career, Steve drew Batman and the Outsiders #10, a fill-in issue that didn't much reflect the distinct style that he would go on to develop later in his momentous work on Legion of Super-Heroes, Flash, Classic X-Men, and too many other comics to list. This particular issue of Batman and the Outsiders was a pretty standard tale, advanced by good storytelling and particularly dramatic character work. But for six or seven-year-old me, it was absolutely everything. This was the first comic I had ever read, and I read it over and over and over again. This comic sparked my interest in the medium, in reading in general, and in characters I would go on to embrace for my entire career. I'm not sure I would have done that if Steve's work hadn't drawn me in like it did.

I feel extremely lucky to own six pages of original art from this issue in my collection, and even more fortunate to have had the opportunity to tell Steve how much his work had met to me and still means to me every time I see it.

Over the years, I got to know Steve via his posts and other online interactions. I watched as he was generous with his fans, outspoken with his politics, and was always creating new art, evolving and reworking his style.

Steve was inspiring, kind, and on the right side of history. And I'll be reminded of that every time I flip through my very favorite comic book. All my best to his family and friends on this terrible, unexpected day.

If you're able, please consider donating to help Steve Lightle's wife and family by clicking here.

Comments